Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress.
Andrew Newberg, M.D. and Mark Waldman, in their Psychology Today
article, “Why This Word is So Dangerous to Say or Hear
,” explain about the dangers of ‘no’:
“If I were to put you into an fMRI scanner—a huge donut-shaped magnet that can take a video of the neural changes in your brain—and flash the word 'NO' for less than one second, you’d see a sudden release of dozens of stress-producing hormones and neurotransmitters. These chemicals immediately interrupt the normal functioning of your brain, impairing logic, reason, language processing, and communication.”
Kaila Weingarten, in her article that’s the basis for an Exchange Reflections YES Environments
“Everyone needs a YES environment to do their best. A YES environment is a safe, positive place that encourages personal growth by allowing the freedom of reasonable risk taking. For children, this means a place:
- that is secure and childproof, so safety concerns do not hinder children’s independence;
- where they can independently learn and explore;
- where predictable, yet flexible, routines and schedules contribute to a warm, caring environment;
- equipped with toys, supplies, and activities that are developmentally appropriate and readily available;
- where no centers are off limits or ‘closed’ for the day;
- where items not intended for children are placed out of reach;
- where the word "no" is used in moderation; therefore, children are more likely to listen when it is said.”
Discussion questions and commitment suggestions in this Exchange Reflections
encourage individuals or groups to consider ideas that could help early care and education settings move to a more “yes-focused” environment.
Use coupon code REFLECT
for 50% off ANY Exchange Reflections
Exchange Reflections are designed to help a team of people meet in-person or live online to think deeply together about a topic using an article from Exchange magazine as a guide. Included are discussion questions to help guide reflections, as well as a Making Commitments idea sheet to help prompt ideas into action. For your convenience, Exchange Reflections are available in PDF format and you can download immediately on your desktop.
|Offer valid through October 15, 2021 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time.
May not be combined with any other offer.
Not valid on bulk purchase discounts.