Support dual-language learners as they develop the skills necessary for school readiness and success
For dual-language learners—children who are learning both English and a home language—the first eight years are crucial for building strong foundations for academic success. During this time, children acquire the early literacy skills needed to be ready for kindergarten, do well in elementary school, and thrive in the years beyond. Based on research and the author's experience as a multilingual educator, Dual-Language Learners
provides a thoughtful approach to help young children learn English, maintain their home language, and develop the skills necessary for school readiness and success.
Inside, you will find
- Information about both the challenges of and best practices for teaching dual-language learners
- Ideas to help you plan and assess your curriculum and environment, as well as the children's learning
- Strategies for communicating with families of dual-language learners and supporting home languages
- Explanation of how children develop their first and second languages
- Advice about how to teach English as a second language in a multilingual classroom
- Reflection questions, techniques, checklists, handouts, and tips to aid you in your program planning and professional development
Age focus: 0-8. Softbound, 200 pgs.